I like to consider this a little bit of therapy for the little group of fuctioning brain cells left in my head.

Friday, November 21, 2008

And a bit more for today

I know I only posted a couple of hours ago but I'm still here at the computer and I still haven't checked if the red ink has run out.

Magoo is away with his school on the RACV energy breakthrough challenge so it is pretty quiet at this time of night around here. The guy who lives at my place had strongly hinted at some 'mummy & daddy' time while Magoo is away and has fallen asleep by 8 each night. I now he works long hours but he has a serious problem with the amount of sleep he needs. Or maybe I have a serious problem with it.



Hmm, what did the Fletch do today that was interesting? About an hour ago I heard him talking in his sleep. How freakin funny is that? He barely talks when he is awake but he will say 'bye bye, see ya later' in his sleep. I realised yesterday that he isn't saying the variety of words he was saying a few weeks back. He still isn't frustrated like he was a year ago but I was hoping he might be attempting to string a couple of words together by now. That is one (of the many) annoying things about autism, you take 2 steps forward, 1 back, three forward, 4 back, 6 sideways and come to a grinding halt.

Tomorrow we are going to a friend's daughter's 1st birthday party. Once upon a time these people were our best friends, well, the guys who lives at my place's best friends. Then about a year ago we went over for dinner one night and Fletch (can't be bothered with nick names now) did his little sign for drink. There was soft drink on the table, even I can't resist. So my husband reached for it and said to Fletch 'ok I will get you a drink' to which his best friend said 'if he was my kid he wouldn't get nothing (great grammar) unless he said please, you're too soft, if you just don't give it to him he will figure out he needs to talk in order to get what he wants'........

I don't know what held me back.

My husband pointed out that Fletch can't talk and that we had tried his freinds approach but it doesn't work with him and the sign is his attempt at letting us know what he wants. At that stage Fletch hadn't been diagnosed with autism. And it's not like this guys kids are little angels either, they are spoilt little brats a good chunk of the time. I was furious but bit my tongue because Big Ed had explained things. When the time came to leave, I was about to yell out to Magoo when I pointed out to my friend (the dick head's wife) that for some reason when you yell out to Magoo, Fletch gets really upset ( a mini meltdown) The dick head then thought that was so funny that he got close to Fletch and said 'Magoo, Magoo' a few times to see his reaction. Fletch got upset. Not wanting to upset him any more was all that stopped me knocking the dick head out. I grabbed our stuff and politely said good bye to the dick heads wife and we all left. I have barely seen them since. Even Shane, who is a big marshmallow when it comes to his friends doesn't bother with them anymore.They were in our wedding party. They would be the only people I can think of who have reacted negatively towards Fletch and his problems. Every other person you mention it to is either so sympathetic to your struggle or enormously supportive or sensitive to Fletcher it just makes everything so much easier.

Fletch is only 3 and a half so most people out in public aren't aware of the fact that he barely speaks or that he won't converse with them. I wonder if they will be as accepting if he is the same in a few more years. Sometimes I don't want him to grow up for that reason, people accept his struggles more with him being little and cute. And my God, he is ssssooooo cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment